The Pennsylvania Coat of Arms Painting and Frame is currently being restored thanks to a partnership with the Color Guard of the Pennsylvania Society of the Sons of the Revolution and support of other donors.
This painting is one of the few surviving original artifacts in Independence Hall. In 1776, after the Declaration of Independence was read aloud to the public for the first time, a crowd ran into Independence Hall and tore down King George III’s coat of arms and burned it. The PA Coat of Arms painting was created in 1785 to hang in that space. It represented a new way of thinking for the citizens of Philadelphia… that Pennsylvania was no longer a colony but a part of the new United States of America. It has been there for so much history: from George Washington’s presidency to the potential demolition of Independence Hall in the early 1800’s, to the creation of the national park here in Philadelphia in the late 1940’s.
Over the years, the painting had become so dark and dull that it was almost impossible for the visitors to see its composition. The frame itself had flaking paint and some decorative element issues. Thanks to the support of our donors, the frame and painting will be fully restored and rehung back in Independence Hall by 2019.