Bishop William White was the first presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church of the United States as well as the Chaplain of the Continental Congress and the rector at Christ Church. His home is located near 3rd and Walnut Streets and is part of Independence National Historical Park. Independence Historical Trust is raising funds to conserve eight historic bibles located in Bishop White’s Library.
The Bibles are part of Independence National Historical Park’s museum collection. The earliest Bible in the collection dates from 1599 and most recent was published in 1821. Among the group is the personal Bible of William Ellery, a signer of the Declaration of Independence from Rhode Island, and Bibles printed by Mathew Carey. Carey’s print shop was located just a few doors down from Ben Franklin’s shop on what is now known as Market Street.