Bishop William White was the first presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church of the United States as well as the Chaplain of the Continental Congress and the rector at Christ Church. Independence Historical Trust is raising funds to conserve eight historic bibles located in Bishop White’s Library. The earliest Bible in the collection dates from 1599 and most recent was published in 1821.
For more information on the project, Click Here
The project will conserve the eight bibles at the Bishop White House so they can be protected and preserved for future generations. For more information on the project, Click Here.
Located on the second floor of his home at Third and Walnut Streets, Bishop William White’s library contains approximately 1,200 books and pamphlets from the 17th through early-19th centuries in their historic bindings. Ten percent of these publications belonged to William White the first Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in America. These 120 rare books require examination by a professional conservator followed by treatment of those volumes identified as having the highest priority for care. Each year, 10,000 visitors annually tour the Bishop White House and see the library. The artist, John Sartain documented the bishop’s library shortly after his death in 1836. Today, this remarkable room is furnished with many of his books, furnishings and personal possessions.
This project will focus on the approximately 120 titles that belonged to Bishop White. An accredited conservator will examine and produce condition reports and treatment recommendations for those books with highest priority. The reports will become the basis for competitive bids from conservators to perform the work. The initial project will include condition reports, treatment recommendations, and the conservation of approximately 30 publications of highest priority.